26.2.11

April Fools?

I am learning more and more everyday in Korea, as I have already mentioned, when you are asked a question it is already expected that your answer will be yes. It is just the beginning but I think I am starting to get the hang of it.

Another thing that I am finding out is that it is common to be asked to do something only a few minutes before it needs to be done. A few examples from the past few days:

5 minutes till, "Could you do an English assessment on these two children?"
10 minutes till, "Could you interview another person for the teaching job?"
10 seconds till, "Could you teach cooking class today?"
3 minutes till, "Could you teach my craft class?"

Those of you who know me, know that I like to brood over even the simplest decisions and so this Korean way, while a little uncomfortable, has been great. I know what my expected answer is even if I don't know what is expected of me.

I tell you all this to give you a taste of what I am slowing learning about Korean culture and to tell you this story.

The other day when we were on our way to get my phone the director and I were talking and the topic of my apartment came up, "Was it alright?" "Yes" "Did I like it? "Yes" "Well just to give you a heads up you might be moving." "Okay..."

Not sure what to make of this I forgot about it until today when we were talking about buying a motorcycle my boss said, "You don't need one, soon you will live close." "Oh, ok."

She went on to tell me that the word on the street is that my landlord doesn't want to claim my rent in his taxes and they don't want to support him in that so I will be moving in to a new place April 1(April Fools?). From what I have been told it is a 5 minute walk from work and it is bigger, a one bedroom instead of a studio. I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment