26.6.11

Rice Field Update

After my first post about farming rice in Korea(found here) I meant to keep you updated with pictures so that you could see what happens to a rice field as it "grows up". Unfortunately due to not making it a priority I have neglected that task. A few weeks ago, from the bus, I saw that the field was brown but quickly forgot about going back and taking a picture.

So finally on my way home from Okpo this week I thought of it and stopped by just in time to see the field being flooded. This is the second crop of the season on this piece of land.


From what I can gather of the little I have seen of rice farming, the fields are flooded and then they plant the little stocks of rice in to the soil below the water. Some still do it by hand while others have what sort of looks like a motorized wheel barrow. From what I saw of this field the water had been drained after planting and was now being flooded again. Wait an unknown amount of time, drain, and harvest.

It's that simple... I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment