27.6.11

Driving All the Way to the Bank

This past week I decided that the time had come to transfer some money back home. The exchange rate was good and I had been here a few months which meant my money was starting to pile up the way it always does. I took Annabelle to work on Tuesday hoping to make a dash to the bank during a spare but the rain showed up and make me think another day might be better.

I waited till Thursday but the wet weather continued so I asked another teacher if I could borrow her car. Sure said she without incurring as to whether or not I possessed the proper legal documents to drive in a foreign country. Thankfully so as I would be unable to fully answer her as I myself do not know.

This was my first time driving in five months let alone in another country. Never the less I made my way out in to the wild lawless jungle other wise known as driving in Korea. It turned out to be pretty alright, just point the car in the direction you desire to go and the road opens up.

I got to the bank and made my way to the special room that they had built for me.


They made me wait, can you believe that?!? I was at first a little upset but upon their return I heard their reason, they had just had a baby. We celebrated with a cigar while my money was being transfered.(What actually happened was that they were in the washroom and instead of cigars we celebrated by charging me tax on money that had already been taxed...)

After that was done I weaved my way to Angel in Us Coffee, to pick up a few smoothies for my co-teachers. Seeing that it was a pretty busy street, I decided to pretend to be Korean and park where ever I wanted to, which just so happened to be in the middle of the road.


After I ordered the smoothies, I ran out to the car, turned it around and parked the same way on the other side of the street. Normally I would feel terrible for doing thing but they literally do this all the time in Korea. If you look closely in the picture you can see that there is a car parked the exact same way right in front of me.

In no time the smoothies were done and I was weaving my way back to the school. No arrests and no deaths in what I would describe as success.

No comments:

Post a Comment