4.6.11

A Taste of Greece in Korea

First off, this has nothing to do with Greek food in Korea, although I would love to find some. Rather it has to do with some memories of mine.

A few years ago I had the privilege of traveling to Greece. There is an unwritten rule that when in Greece you must visit an island. To complete this mission I used a company called Blue Star Ferries. That in it self may seem like trivial information for me to be sharing with you but there is a connection.

The other day I was taking a motorcycle ride around the island and saw this:


It is a Blue Star Ferries, ferry! I was so shocked and excited that I pulled over then and there in the rush of after work traffic to take a picture. Thankfully being Korea, such erratic driving is the norm and no one gave a second thought to what I was doing, they just made their way around. After taking my picture and safely re-entering the flow of traffic I continued on with my life.

On Friday I mentioned it to my co-teacher in hopes of hearing more about it. My hope did not disappoint. To my surprise she told me that there are two being made here(confirmed on Wikipedia here)(not that I don't trust my co-teacher). She also told me that her husband is designing the interior for them. Cool! Now to try to get him to give me a tour...

Seeing it here made me wonder how long it takes to sail from South Korea to Greece. My guess is more time than would be comfortable spent in Economy Class. Only one way to find out... okay maybe there is more than one way to find out.

4 comments:

  1. Flood of memories! This is so great! Where does this one go to when it will? Jeju? ..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Douglas!
    I'd love some kind advice if you dont mind. My hubs and I are looking for ESL couple jobs on Geoje that start this fall or even winter. Do you know of any or of anyone who does? I'd be terribly grateful for any help you could give, and even any advice that you have about teaching in Geoje!

    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jadyn - It is going to operate in the Greek Islands(Piraeus-Paros-Naxos-Ios-Thira)

    Stephanie - If you email me(douggiesbrecht(at)gmail(dot)com) I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you have to the best of my ability.

    Josh - If you like ships, Korea sells the most ships in the world and the island that I live on is home to two huge shipyards. One is building the biggest ships in the world and the other has the worlds highest production efficiency. You would absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete