7.6.11

Trip to the Furniture Store

As you may know, for the past few months I have been looking for some furniture, namely a couch for my house so that I have a place for guests to sit. I mentioned this to my bosses and they said that they would be on the look out for one at their apartments. What they mean by that is that if some one is throwing out a couch they will pick it up for me. Fun fact for those looking to come to Korea, this is the way many apartments for English teachers in Korea are filled.

Anyways few weeks ago a friend of mine mentioned that he had seen a chair dumped beside his school and while it was not good enough for him, said it might be good enough for me. He's a real pal... I said I would have a look. After inspecting it to make sure nothing was living or growing in it, and seeing that it looked sufficient for my needs, I decided it would be nice to take it home.

Not having a truck and being there with Annabelle I figured the only way to get it home would be to put it in a cab and have him follow me home. We sat and waited, no cabs. 2 minutes later I had had enough of waiting, and having seen, in my travels, motorcycles being used as trucks, decided that we could figure it out our selves. So with Annabelle's co-operation, and some careful driving, I now have a "new" chair in my "living room".



Annabelle deserves all the credit and so I will give it to her. Her actions would prompt me to call her huge, but I remember the last time I called a girl that... let me tell you, I learned my lesson. Instead I will call her graceful.

Annabelle, you are so graceful.



How did I learn this lesson?

Once upon a time I spent a year studying in the rocky mountains of Colorado. The program I was enrolled in included one afternoon a week scheduled as a work day. In the first couple of weeks I was paired up with a girl, I'll call her Sam. Being one of the smaller girls I questioned how much work we would get done, as our job was to line a walking path with small logs, using the trees that had been felled in the area.

She did a fantastic job and so I wanted to encourage her. Now I am not the best with words, especially around those of the opposite gender, even more especially if they are cute and I don't know them very well. As a result what ended up coming out of my mouth was, "You are huge!" Good one... Long story short, she was a cool girl and after a "what did you just say?", didn't give me too hard a time about it. Lesson learned.

5 comments:

  1. looks like you and Annabelle moved that chair over just fine. I still remember that story from CO. :) There was also the story about calling a different girl a machine, though I feel that Annabelle would probably appreciated that compliment given her composition... love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great memory you have sis... looks like i am building a reputation as a smooth talker...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'll call her Sam." - absolutely hilarious. One day you will write a book, and I will purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great post, what you said is really helpful to me. I agree with you anymore. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have. Keep up the good work you are doing here. Thank you for sharing such a useful post.

    ReplyDelete