23.5.11

Party in the ROK

As I am finding out, birthdays are a big deal in Korea, or at least we are supposed to try and make it look like it is a big deal. So once a month we pull out the banners, pick up a cake and fill a table with treats to celebrate all the birthdays that occur during said month. To me it seems like it is just a big show for a photo op.

Another thing about it is that we miss class, most of the teachers don't mind it too much seeing as we get a class off. I play along because there is nothing else I can do, but secretly I usually wish that we had class. We have a set amount of work that we need to do every month and I seem to be the only teacher trying to get it done on time. That and I am against kids having fun.

Last week Friday was our party of the month, we had three birthdays we were celebrating and we needed to do something extra special. So I dipped in to my trunk of surprises and pulled the supplies for making balloon sculptures that I had received a while back from my Aunt Susan. I am sure by now she thought that I threw them away or something foolish like that but I have been saving them for the right time, which was now.

Since I am not a clown by profession I was really worried that all the balloons would pop in my hand and wasn't sure if any of the 'sculptures' would work out. But the balloons turned out to be surprisingly durable and with a book of instructions the sculptures turned out just as they were supposed to.

We made some swords and helmets for the boys and some flowers and headbands for the girls. They absolutely loved it and had a blast.




Dear Aunt Susan,
I tried to tell them that they were from you, but all they could understand was that they were from Canada. Which in their words is, "many, many, long away". They loved them, thank-you very much!
Douglas

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Doug! I can hear the song now. It's a party in the ROK!

    ReplyDelete