21.5.11

Gardening in Korea

Seeing as my mom had sent me a number of seed I felt that I should try my hand at growing something here in Korea so I set about trying to make it happen.

First I had to figure out where I would put it, because I live in an apartment I don't have an over abundance of space to garden. It just so happened that one morning as I was looking out at the world while having breakfast on my patio it occurred to me that the gaps between the post on the railing was just about the same size as a 2 litre bottle. Seeing how green I am this gave me the idea that I could cut down 2 litre bottles to reuse them as planters(and save the world at the same time). So that is just what I did I collected a number of bottles, cut them down and cleaned them out.

Next came the issue of dirt, seeing as I live on an island dirt is a rare and valuable resource I had no idea where I would get some legally(can you steal dirt?). Imagine my surprise when I was at the local Daiso(dollar store) looking in their plant section that I found you can buy 2 litres of dirt for 1000 won($1). I picked some up and was ready to start gardening.

I took an evening and got started planting. The soil smelled suspiciously like coffee and tobacco but I'm not one to ask questions. I divided it by the amount of containers that I had and put some seeds in. Despite what I have read about peas not growing in humid weather, I planted a number of pots of peas. I also planted a couple with beans, a couple with melons, a watermelon, a few with flowers and a few mystery pots.

This is what it looked like, I will try to keep you updated on the progress.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see a watermelon come out of one of those tiny pots! ;) I think it would even be more interesting if it was coffee flavored...

    ReplyDelete