20.10.11

Korean Safety Regulations

There have been many times since coming to Korea I question the way that things are done in Korea. As a foreigner this is a natural response to all the things invading the senses that are different from what I am used to. In this questioning I am not saying that the things that I question are being done wrong I am just saying that I am not used to it.

Korean safety regulations are something that I question almost on a daily basis. Many of the things that I have seen being done at various work sites I have encountered have caused me to ask my self "In what third world country would this be ok?"

Here is something I came across the other day. On the one side you have Kitty PC Zone filled with little kids playing computer games with out any adult supervision. While it is my opinion that there are better things to be using your time for, I certainly do not question the place of internet cafes in Korea.

But rotate 180 degrees and a potentially interesting senario is revealed. Not five meters the the internet cafe filled with unattended kids is door leading to a construction site. This in itself is not a big deal except that this is all on the sixth floor. Through the door is a narrow plank leading to the adjacent building with only flimsy caution tape to break your fall should you lose your balance.

Will it take one curious child to change Korean safety regulations? Only time will tell...



No comments:

Post a Comment