15.8.11

Laying it Down

Last week as Annabelle and I were on our final ride of the holidays, we hit some gravel while going around a corner causing the front wheel to come out from under us. The bike lay down with me still straddling it, slammed in to the concrete barrier on the side of the road and slid for 50+ feet.

All I can say is that the Lord protected. I (foolishly) was wearing shorts, a t-shirt and sandals(and helmet of course) as I was on my way to do some swimming. All I got was a few scrapes down the left side of my body. I phoned a few friends who showed up right away, one contacted a guy to pick up Annabelle and one drove me to the hospital.

Hospitals in Korea let me tell you... my time there was a story in itself, or a few stories I will tell you that they did an alright job cleaning getting the dirt off and a fantastic job wrapping it up. The next part though was less fun for me than iodine on vast amounts of exposed skin. Shots to fight infection.

I will tell you right now that I very much dislike needles, but to aid with the recovery of almost illness in Korea they insist. When the nurse walked in with the tray and the needles I tried to convince her that I didn't need them as I am a prime specimen(as if she couldn't see that...).

She was having none of it. The best got better when I learned that instead of being inserted it into my arm like normal needles, these needed to be inserted in to my bum...

Needless to say I did not like this and I made sure that the nurse knew it. Looking back, it may have been easier for both her and I had I just kept my mouth shut, realizing that this was just another consequence of my actions.

Having been cleaned up, juiced-up and x-rayed I went to settle the bill and had a bit of sticker shock as it was a little more than I was expecting. I ended up realizing that had I brought my insurance card it would have been less so after a quick trip home I ended up paying approximately 25 percent or the original bill. Still more than I remember paying in Canada(or was that because my parents paid) but much more reasonable.

It has added a little extra to my days as I need to start earlier and get home earlier in order to get in the daily quota of wrapping, unwrapping and cleaning. While it isn't ideal it sure beats nursing a broken bone or worse...

As for Annabelle she is resting and recovering as well. I checked up on her on Thursday and she already has a new clutch lever, her carburetor will be getting some attention and next time I see her she will be sporting a new front rim.

 It looks like she will be discharged later this week and I will do my best to be there to drive her home. This time you can be certain that I will not be wearing shorts...

No comments:

Post a Comment