6.7.11

Night Ride

Here in Korea we have officially entered the rainy season. Some say it is the typhoons, others say it is the monsoons, while still others just say it is raining. I prefer to use the exotic word typhoon or monsoon to describe it as I back home I am stuck with just calling it rain. Whatever it is, it started at the end of June and I am told will continue until some time in August, as such I am trying to make the most of the time when it does happen to be dry.

This past Friday was one of those days. It had been drizzling on and off for the better part of the work day and cleared up just as I was getting off work. I did a few things around the house and then left for a late supper at the neighborhood pizza place with a few friends. The fellowship was good and by the time we parted ways I had my mind set on bed. That was until, upon my return I noticed that the roads had been drying nicely.

I had been looking for an opportunity to re-ride a great section of road on the north of the island and this seemed to be that perfect opportunity. It was late enough that the roads would be clear of the traffic that normally pokes along and dark enough to make the corners interesting.

I should note here that there is very little variation in the marking of a corner in Korea, there is an arrow in the direction of the turn in the road but very little indication of how tight that corner really is.

I set out at half past eleven with Annabelle and everything about it was beautiful. A quarter of the moon was high in the sky, a thin fog was rising from the road, exploding when hit by the headlight, and wide open roads calling for a wide open throttle. Then there was the smell. It smelled of life! On top of all that Annabelle filled my ears with sweet nothings as the miles rolled away. Bliss!

The road that I took led me over the Busan-Geoje link bridge which I have always wanted to photograph at night. I found a place to turn off in to a nearby village and relaxed under the bridge for a while as I had a snack. Unfortunately the lights that illuminate the towers had already gone to bed by the time I arrived, perhaps I will come a little earlier next time.

My camera said it looked like this but I insist that it looked quite a bit better.






The next day turned out nice as well so I went for a ride in the afternoon and ended up with a sunburn on the tops of my hands and arms. Well worth it as it has been raining ever since and the forecast calls for rain through till next Monday.

Stay tuned for new pictures of Annabelle. She is looking fine(r) thanks to her new decals!

No comments:

Post a Comment