21.7.11

Brain Freeze in a Box

First off, I am not trying to make a play with the title about the mental activity of my students in our cuboid of a classroom(although that would have been clever).

No, for the past few months I have been teaching an extra class for a couple of kids and only now am I seeing the fruit(or in this case, cream) of my labour. The class is an extra for kids already in the school whose parents want them to get a jump start on life.

Now if you know anything about Korean education you will be thinking to yourself, "Silly Doug, most Korean parents are crazy enough(about education) and want their kids to get a sometimes unhealthy jump on life. They start them as young as 18 months and by 48 months old some of them are going to school 8 hours a day. Some one should tell them that their kids could get a similar if not better jump on life simply by having a good attitude or paying attention in class."

To that I say, "You are right, Korean parents are crazy(about education), and about that jump on life, yes, they could otherwise get simply by having a good attitude or paying attention in class. I secretly agree with you but remember, those are your words not mine. If they bring trouble I will be sure to let them know where to go and how to get there... to find you(of course). This class is simply an additional jump on that initial jump start of their life."

The extra class has been even parts conversation, reading and book work with a little bit of fun mixed in for good measure. The thing that makes this it special is that the kids already have great attitudes about learning. Unlike many of my other students, these kids enjoy learning new things and they actually try to remember it and use it. This makes it more rewarding as well as much easier to teach.

This week it got a little bit more rewarding, one of those moms brought me an ice cream cake. It is pretty much the coolest thing any parent has ever brought me. It makes me wonder why I ever said no to signing a 10 year contract. Well almost...


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woahhhh. If that's what being a teacher in S. Korea is all about, i'm interested. Party in the ROK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spelled something wrong in that first post, can't have that if I'm going to be receiving cakes from students moms. Gotta stay profesh.

    ReplyDelete