23.9.11

Parents in Geoje

Friday, September 2, 2011

After some flight complications that resulted in an overnight in Japan, my parents finally made it to Korea. They flew in to Seoul and thanks to a few good samaritains they were whisked from the airport to the bus terminal and directly on to a bus bound for Geoje. That meant that when I finally finished work and had made my way to the bus terminal enough time had passed that they almost seemed happy to see me.

There were of course the obligatory hugs and kisses. The "It's good to see you." preceded the "Is that a real tattoo?" which I pretended not to hear as I loaded their baggage in to a cab and made our way to their hotel(My House). I had tried to book the presidential suite for them but it turned out that the only room they had left was a single. They were very understanding though as seen in their comment, "Well, it's probably better than sleeping on the street."

They moved their bags in and thought about getting comfortable, wondering if they would be able to survive here for the next few weeks. But before they could decided we were on our way to dinner.

Being the first night I felt that it was my duty to treat them to their first real dinner in Asia so we went to the best bibimbap and kimbap restaurant on the island, Young's Bap. As usual it was busy but I'm a regular so no problem right? Unfortunately my connection with the management there proved to be not as strong as I thought so we decided to launch Plan B rather than fast.

Plan B as I just named it turned out to be the food court and Homeplus. Many of you may be thinking, "A food court, really?" First, I will have you know that my parents love food courts so much so that their dates consist of going to a food court. Don't believe me, just ask them... Second I was paying and I was hoping that they were still too out of it to really think about what they were eating. Third, unlike most other countries, the food court is pretty much the same quality of food as anywhere else in Korea.

Saturday saw my mom cleaning their accommodations while my father and I went to pick up a motorcycle from a friend who had just left for Australia. The decision to get a motorcycle for my parents was a strictly practical as it would allow us to go from point A to point B directly instead of up, down and around with the buses. My father and I proceed to go directly home by taking the least direct route possible... He quite enjoyed it! That afternoon we continued to explore after picking up my mother as well as a quick lunch. She too, loved it.

That is where I will have to leave it for now, more later. I will also try to update with some pictures in the next day or two.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous23/9/11

    That was a tattoo? and I thought it was a mustache :) dad

    ReplyDelete