30.1.11

Korea!

My flight arrived at Incheon Airport at 3:45 AM Korean Time which is 1:45 PM Central Standard Time, and as good as the flight was I was tired. Just as I had been told there was someone with my name on a sign waiting to pick me up, it was a taxi and he did not speak a lot of English. It was about an hour drive from the airport to Ilsan(north of Seoul) where I will be staying until I finish my training.

The first thing in Korea to amaze me was their GPS, it knows the speed limits and where the photo radar, fantastic. My driver took me to an apartment building and took me up to an apartment and a lady showed me a room where I could sleep, 5:15. To not get to far out of sync I set my alarm for 9:00, I ended up waking up at 8:30 and so I got up, reorganized my luggage and read until the lady who had greeted me in the night showed up and welcomed me to her apartment and said I was to move to another room.

In the afternoon I decided to go for a walk and explore the area in which I will be spending the next bit of time. It is a little cold here, about -10 and very windy, but sunny which is nice. On my walk I found out that Lake Park is right across the road from me, which from what the internet told me, is a great place to go on a date. In summer the area is full of flowers and other plant life, suposed to be very beautiful. I'll keep that in mind.



In the evening the owner of the school and her daughter came by and picked me up and we went out for supper. We had beef bulgogi which is sliced meet that is fried with vegetables and like any typical Korean meal it came with lots of side dishes and was delicious. It was also neat to learn more about my boss and the school I will be working for. Turns out there are two schools one in Ilsan and the one that I will be teaching at in Geoje City. On the way home we stopped by the school here in Ilsan and looked around, they are suppose to have a similar set up and design so I now have an idea of what to expect in Geoje. It looks like it will be a neat set up.

All in all it was a great first day in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment